Monday, March 09, 2009

The Reality Check

So, the other day, I was sitting at my computer and congratulating myself over the little cello and violin duet I had composed. In all seriousness, it really was nothing special, not even a whole page. But it looked so nice and professional, thanks to Finale Notepad2005, the program I used to transcribe it. And when Finale played it for me, in all its MIDI file glory, it sounded very nice. 

I was preening.

Then I see a link to a site where other Finale composers can go and upload their creations for people view and listen to and so on. 
"Well," I smugly say to myself, "since I really and truly am a composer now, I guess I should head over there and see what's what."
I log on, and do you know what I find?

I'll tell you.

A magnificent, seven movement symphony that is hundreds of pages of music and takes my breath away when I listen to it, MIDI sound or no. 
That someone just thought up.

Preening = end.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Your humility = admiration

Your pride = Me laughing