Sunday, November 06, 2005

Ye Olde Spellinge

The other day, whilst I was clearing the yard of leaf remains (which, despite it's inherently grisly nature, is actually a very boring task) I fell to thinking, which is often the case. I fell to thinking about the womenfolk, attempting to puzzle them out, which is also often the case. (On a side note, I would like to say to any fellas reading this that if you ever find yourself with nothing to do, trying to figure out the ladies will provide you with endless hours of brainwork.)
But as I was saying, while I was chopping and disfiguring all those leaves, I began musing upon the subject of what kind of man women look for. Now, I know that it varies greatly from woman to woman, but usually they have something in common (like wanting said man to not be a complete jerk). But what really puzzles me is that the same girl will more often than not want wildly different, and in some cases contradictory, traits in her "dream man". For instance: They want a guy who is sensitive (whatever the heck that means...), he'll spout poetry and hold long conversations about Austen or Bronte or some such. But at the same time they want a guy who will...I don't know, grab snakes and tie them in knots, or break rocks with their foreheads. Listen ladies, if a guy is spending all of his time reading Pride and Prejudice he is not out climbing mountains or wrestling grizzlies. And quite frankly, any "guy" who would want to watch Elizabeth Bennet sort out her personal problems rather than, say, Aragorn go to town on some Uruks,isn't much of a guy in my professional opinion.
I guess I'd just like to point out that we're guys. We are different. We don't like to sit around and talk about our feelings. We like things that explode. We definitely do not understand you ladies. So don't hold your breath too long waiting on someone who is basically just another girl with a Y chromosome.
The conclusion? Girls have no idea what they want until it bites them in the face.

My brain hurts.

9 comments:

Elvis said...

Ah poor Gum, he was practically raised with 5 sisters.

Nomos said...

A very insightful post.

beatrice said...

Graham, Graham, Graham.
I really need to send you those rules we were talking about, don't I?

Androphenese said...

that was a pretty nice assesment of the situation, dodger of sheep!

ithchick said...

*can't stop laughing to comment*

Anonymous said...

You know...I think girls truly don't know what they want until it bites them in the face. Just as you said.

van Danne said...

A forlorn quest, my noble Ralph a forlorn quest. HOWEVER perhaps at least the fact that we do at times honestly TRY to understand them will speak well of us.

Terms Of Endearment said...

Your post definitely contains elements of truth, yet where would a romantic fit into the world if man understood woman. That is a world I would rather stay away from. I am a different breed of "man," though, than your professional opinion will admit, for I would much rather speak of or read Austen and Bronte than watch that dude go to town on those things, or however it goes. Delightful post, though. Capital!

rachel tsunami said...

Ralph, this is rich.

You have touched on something that bears even more consideration. A woman does want a man who can live and function in a man's realm: able to protect, to provide, to conquer. No one wants you to give up tying snake-knots. But if she does not also see a *capacity* for gentleness, tenderness, and contemplation as well, she may wonder if life with such a man would eventually devolve into a loveless, colorless relationship. This is why women look for both.

Besides, you don't want to be one-dimensional do you?

Do a little research on the Renaissance Man. He was equally comfortable and knowledgeable with the arts and literature as he was with outdoor pursuits: hunting, fishing, animals, working with his hands, nature...and on and on.

It is truly a quandry in which you and your fellows find yourselves, but one in which much will become clear when genuine love enters the picture. There were many things in which I had little or no interest until they became things that the man I loved was interested in. Amazingly, what was of interest to him became interesting to me (to one degree or another). And vice versa.

Oh my. I'm sounding old and advice-y. Which is probably not at all appropriate for a blog written by a cool and funny guy. Oh well, you have to love me regardless, you know.

Anyway, Dan has it right: >perhaps at least the fact that we do at times honestly TRY to understand them will speak well of us.<