Friday, December 12, 2008

Waterfalls Upsidedown

We human beings really are creatures of habit, aren't we? Take pants, for example. Now don't get caught up in the mindboggling question of exactly what a pant is and how we can have a pair of them (like underwear...and pair of underwear? I only have one on...and what forms of that word do you use? Pants makes sense. One pant, two pants, a pair of pants. But underwear? One underwear, two underwear, a pair of underwear? Underwears Underweari? Ok, I need to follow my own advice...)
And way, take pants. That's a figure of speach. If you have physically taken a pair of pants at this time, you can put them back. Especially if they don't belong to you. What I meant, you literal, pants-stealing person, was consider pants. I almost always put them on right leg first, then left leg. Always. It's just the way things are. But this morning, I did something very strange: I put them on left leg first! At first, I was scared. I didn't exactly know what was going on, it was all so strange and new. I felt off balance...disjointed. But, eventually I got over it. Everything started to feel alright. After all, putting your pants on left let first really isn't wrong, it's just different. I felt like my horizons had been expanded! Like I had subtley shifted my perception of life. What other strange and wonderful things would happen to me today? If just putting my pants on differently could have this sort of effect, what would happen if I brushed my teeth left-handed, or shaved with my eyes closed?


Later on, with toothpaste and blood all over my face, I reconsidered my decision to change up my morning routine in this way. I have decided to continue putting my pants on right leg first.

4 comments:

Dani said...

hehehe, I love this...

monolog said...

That could be sort of a satire on the country's mad cry for blind "change." We may well wake up and find moral blood and political toothpaste on our collective face in the morning.

maybe that's stretching it a bit... :)

rachel tsunami said...

hmmm...

as I said to my husband recently in bed, "Move over, I need to shift my paradigm."

Amy said...

Trying putting them on backwards. See if that helps your perspective.